Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Patience

Patience is such a simple little word that no one these days likes to hear. Waiting in a line at a grocery store or anywhere for that matter is horrible. Going on a diet thinking you can loose ten pounds in a week and you only end up losing one or two and usually give up the next week. INSTANT GRATIFICATION is what everyone in this world is waiting for, then when it doesn't come people go crazy.

How much nicer would this world be with a bit more patience.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the first presidency said "Patience means staying with something until the end. It means delaying immediate gratification for future blessings. It means reining in anger and holding back the unkind word. Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most."

I know patience has been a huge struggle for me. I have been praying for patience and hoping for more it everyday. It is slowly coming to me over time and it will be a life long struggle to learn how to be patient but it is all in the learning and progressing that matters.

I am writing this NOT as a lecture to all of the maybe two people that read my blog it is an outlet for me to vent and in hopes maybe this will make me feel better about what I am trying to accomplish.
I have been thinking about my life lately and how sometimes I feel like I am just put on the back burner while trying to raise a child, be busy with work, juggling life and support my wonderful husband through school. I think when am I going to get the chance to finish school and when do I get to focus on a career for me. Basically when is it my turn.

As I have been begging for patience, I have come to realize that it will be my turn one day and that day will be great but for now I can be happy being a mother to my wonderful son Duke and being a supportive wife to my hard working husband as he goes to medical school and tries to provide a better life for our family. This is what is important to me and my family right now and it took time to realize that the world shouldn't revolve around me. As President Uchtdorf said "Impatience, is a symptom of selfishness. It is a trait of the self-absorbed. It arises from the all-too-prevalent condition called “center of the universe” syndrome, which leads people to believe that the world revolves around them and that all others are just supporting cast in the grand theater of mortality in which only they have the starring role."

4 comments:

Emily Marie said...

Thank you for that Carly! I agree and needed the reminder. I am sure you are doing great! I have to constantly remind myself that I will have time for 'me only' and then I will greatly miss this time when I get to take care of everyone else! Love you!

Mike and Corie said...

I SO know how you feel! We can be friends!!!! I think your lesson is a wonderful one for me to hear as well. President Uchtdorf sure know how to phrase it well. I Love you! and I think that you are doing a wonderful job!! We should get together for a GIRLS day out sometime! and you can vent everything and get it all out. sometimes its just good to talk to another adult! I'd Love to do that whenever you'd like!

Kid's Kitchen said...

Thank you for that post Carly! That is what I needed to hear. It is so hard to have patience sometimes..we all struggle with it. Especially as moms:) Oh and by the way I am proof that more than 2 people read your darling blog!!! haha...love ya!

Lindsey said...

Great post! Patience is super important, and something that I constantly struggle with, but as long as we keep trying, right?! The work you are doing now is super important, but don't forget about yourself, either! Be sure to take al ittle time for yourself from time to time!!